Ocean City NJ candy store tour!

This past week, I was vacationing in the famous Ocean City, NJ! If you've never been, I highly recommend it. It's a beautiful, clean town with a gorgeous beach and nice people. The boardwalk is loaded with the best fries, lemonade & corn dogs. There are so many candy stores on the boardwalk so I decided to visit 4 of them. It's fun going into other shoppes to see how they make things and what they sell. Most of these stores have been around for decades and are open all year long.

My first stop was at Shriver's. It's located on 9th street, which is where we stayed.  Shriver's opened in 1898. They are famous for their salt water taffy & fudge. They have so many flavors of taffy & fudge that it was overwhelming for me to choose!
 The store is set up beautifully. It's really big and spacious. I love how they display their fudge. They have so many interesting flavors! Some of the flavors include; chocolate M&M, pistachio, rum raisin, cookie monster, & chocolate raspberry. Their fudge recipe is over 100 years old. What's cool about Shriver's is that you can watch them making the salt water taffy in the back room. It's a really neat experience and gives you something to do on a rainy day (which we had a few of). I ended up buying about a pound of the taffy. It was so fresh. Coconut, chocolate, vanilla, molasses, & strawberry are a few of my favorites!


Next stop, The Fudge Kitchen. Here, you can watch fudge being made from the window! They cook fudge like we do in a big copper kettle, but then they pour it into a pan. They had so many flavors, just like Shriver's. They also make and sell salt water taffy but they didn't have as many flavors as Shriver's did.

The store was really packed so I couldn't get as many pictures as I had wanted. It's a really clean, long and narrow store. They have a really big counter with all of the candy on display. Along the floor are little baskets holding gummi's & hard candies. They have a lot of nostalgic candy too!

George's is a wonderful candy store with wonderful people! They opened in 1954 and have 2 locations on the boardwalk. They make homemade ice cream, fudge, the best coconut macaroons, and salt water taffy. I got ice cream from here almost every day because it's that good! The coconut macaroons are so fresh that they sell them right from the sheet pan. Mine were still hot when I bought them. You can get them with milk or dark chocolate too! Their store seems similar to ours. They only make a few flavors of fudge, unlike all of the other candy stores on the boardwalk. Vanilla, chocolate, & peanut butter seemed to be the most popular fudges here.
The store is really cute, filled with knick knacks like slinkys & stuffed animals.
They also have a restaurant at this location that's serving up breakfast! Eggs, pancakes, waffles, you name it! They've got it. They are definitely my favorite shoppe on the boardwalk!

Fralinger's is the most famous name in the salt water taffy business. We actually sell their taffy in our store! So now you can have a taste of the Jersey Shore right here in Flemington, NJ!
I love their taffy set up. It's in the center of the store and you can walk around and fill your bag with however much you'd like. They also have other chocolate goodies like raisins and malt balls in big dispensers that you can pour into a bag too! They also make fudge, but they call it "sea foam fudge". I had never heard of this term before, but thought it was cute and catchy. Their store is old fashion and sticks to it's roots. I had never seen chocolate covered salt water taffy before, so I decided to try it! It was interesting! Creamy and chewy all in the same. Definitely a must try!


I hope you enjoyed my tour of 4 of the most popular candy stores on the Ocean City NJ boardwalk. It's a great way to see what other candy makers are making and selling, as well as trying new things. I'm so glad I brought home salt water taffy & coconut macaroons, giving me a taste of the wonderful week I had at the shore. I miss it already!

-The Fudge Shoppe

Comments